Sunday, July 22, 2007

Plants to Eat and Plants to Look At

I have a new craving. In the past six days, I have eaten a certain kind of salad four times, and I'm planning on eating another one for lunch at work every day this week, while supplies last. The thing about this salad is that I'm pretty sure I invented it, and it's so good I feel like it would be wrong not to share the ingredients with you. Here's what you do: In a big bowl, combine a couple of handfuls of spinach leaves, three or four strawberries, sliced, half a green apple, cubed, a small handful of cubed cheese (I'm a fiend for sharp cheddar), a small handful of sunflower seeds, and 2-3 tablespoons of an olive oil/balsamic vinegar blend or other non-creamy salad dressing. You won't be disappointed.

Matt and I went to the botanical gardens today. The heat was a little intense. By the time we made it to the prehistoric gardens, I was too woozy to spend any more time out in the heat, but we did take a nice, long stroll through the Japanese garden, which is my favorite part. Matt's too, I'm pretty sure. There are these great little paths through bamboo groves and fish ponds with massive carp and dragon flies swirling above the lily pads. Despite the heat, it was a good, leisurely, unstructured antidote to our day of massive cleaning and reorganizing yesterday. We reduced tons of clutter in the house, finished one more cushion for our glider, and started setting up the baby's changing table, custom-made by Matt.

Here's a couple pictures from today. Anyone wanna guess what color eyes our baby might have?


3 comments:

Lorraine and Chris said...

What a wonderful day.... BLUE??? Did I win???
When we come to visit in Austin the next long stay, we'll have to go with you two and your daughter... only we want her in a stroller so we can take turns.
We were really tired today. Must be the influence of the pregnant women in our family... We bought two posts and two panels to set up the fence on the north side of the barn so we can clear the driveway for the camper. And then had lunch and a movie nap! Tomorrow is another day.
We love you guys and want photos of the changing table...
hugs from the geezers....

Unknown said...

The salad sound great ,will defintely try it, your not only a talented writer you are also a chef! It's funny when you sent me the pics of you & Matt in New England, I meant to comment on the color the baby's eyes would be.... a beautiful innocent blue! The botanical gardens sounds and looks wonderful,would love to visit.Time is going by so fast, can't wait to see you guys, Im getting so excited.Hugs&kisses, Mom

Neesha Thakkar said...

Yumm. Salads in the summer are so delicious! (I make a similar one with pecans).
My true-blue salad is

herbed spring mix
toasted walnuts
dried cranberries
sliced granny smith apple
blue or goat cheese
tossed with balsamic vinagrette.

Pregnancy cravings sound pretty tasty. No pickles and ice cream for you, I guess. :)