Wednesday, May 9, 2007

16 Week Doctor Visit

I had my 16 week prenatal visit today. I didn't see the Nurse Practitioner I was originally scheduled to see; instead, I saw a very sweet nurse and an NP-in-training who is also 15 weeks pregnant and who seems very eager to be an expert OBGYN Nurse. (Make sure you infuse a little sarcasm into that last clause as you read it.) We had a really good discussion in general, and she was great about answering some questions I had and helping me organize business-y matters I need to be thinking about over the next few months. But, I almost sent her running from the room when she asked me if I had started thinking about childbirth classes and I said I had been thinking about the Bradley method of childbirth. My friend Beth emailed me about it recently, and therefore I have been thinking of those classes, but I'm still undecided, and Matt and I will most likely attend the classes given this coming fall by a Nurse at RWG. Apparently, though, some of the OBs at my doctor's office have had unpleasant experiences with women who have taken Bradley classes, (I can only imagine what the NP-in-training meant by that) and they are not supportive of that childbirth method. The NPIT was adamant about getting that message across.

I feel frustrated by that attitude, but also by the attitude of the non-traditional birthing communities - not as a whole, of course, but with the tendency in both camps to be so extreme in their views. I feel like practitioners on both sides can be quite dogmatic about their way of doing things, and I find myself somewhere in the middle: supportive of natural childbirth, interested in reading about the Bradley method, gettin' my prenatal yoga on, not wanting to be constantly held down by a fetal heartrate monitor and I.V., but also being very supportive of the hospital environment and the expertise of the doctors who work there. Dr. Neyman said that we could do intermittent monitoring, a heparin lock rather than an I.V., and that I could choose what position I would like to deliver in; I feel like she's right there with me in the middle ground, and I like that. But I also left today's visit feeling very committed to writing up a simple birth plan to have on file and to bring with me to the hospital in case she is not on call when I go into labor. There is some tricky territory to navigate in this whole birthing business, and I can't even decide what diaper system to use, much less who is "right" in this whole debate that pits traditional hospital births against less conventional birthing methods.

Most importantly, though: I heard the baby's heartbeat again, and I was so thrilled. I just wanted to lie there and hear it for hours. It was in the 150s this time, which the nurse assured me is a normal variation from the last reading. My blood pressure and urine sample were just fine. Only four more weeks until the big ultrasound!

Django and I are off for a walk to the farmer's market that just set up shop near our house every Wednesday. We are both looking forward to next week when Matt will be out of school and can come with us.

3 comments:

little b said...

I'm glad you had a good visit today, even with an overly enthusiastic NP. What I think is funny though is describing the hospital birth as traditional and natural childbirth as less conventional. pretty funny, when 'traditional' hospital birthing only appeared in the last 60 or so years.

I'm not surprised that the people at the hospital/OB office have had unpleasant experiences with Bradley trained women. Probably the women demanded the birth they wanted, which can piss some medical people off - not just in birthing, but in any health issues. They don't particularily like having their authority questioned.

Phew. Long comment.

Heather D said...

I had the exact same thought about authority issues while the NP was talking. That's why I'm more motivated about that birthing plan now . . . I want to make sure my little voice gets heard above all this hubbub! And you're right about my dubious use of the word "traditional" . . . I guess I meant it relative to this exact moment in time, when the majority of women choose the hospital route, which makes homebirths and midwives seem less conventional or "traditional" to me in the year 2007. I'm so glad to have your perspective on this process to balance out my own and all the information I'm getting.

Emily said...

It is wonderful that you are educating yourself so well about the birth. It is great to know about all the things that can happen. Jared and I read a fair amount and wrote up a birthing plan to take with us. Of course, we forgot to put it in the hospital bag. We weren't even in a rush. Then I ended up taking the epidural and not getting into any of the other positions I was so adamant about. Despite all that, he came out beautifully and went right to suckling. Lesson for me: Role with it and don't let grumpy night nurses ruin one of the coolest days of your life.